Friday, April 11, 2008

It's Been Almost a Week!

Man this week has gone fast. Although, I guess when you've got multiple events every day, a week can go pretty quickly. 

I didn't get a run in until Wednesday night, and only because I decided I really didn't want to drive Kate up to church to go to our Wednesday evening activities. I figured I could work during that time, but didn't have the energy to get her ready and drive the hour round trip. 

Soccer is now in full swing and Kate has her first game in the morning provided the weather cooperates. Regardless, it is going to be a cold first game. Practices are Mondays and Wednesdays and her coach is great! One of her friends commented that she wasn't going to be sitting around picking dandelions this year. 

Kate is looking much more like a soccer player. I've convinced her to wear the cleats I had for her. We may be getting some pink nail polish (or the pink paint we bought to paint her desk - oh, is it pink!!!) to paint the stripes pink, but at least she's wearing the cleats. She thought they were pretty fun tonight when she had on her purple ballet leotard with her black soccer socks up just over her knees and her black and silver cleats on. She and Emily (dressed in her Mini-Mouse dress she calls her Dorothy -a la Wizard of Oz- dress) were out in our front yard playing their own version of soccer.  (Hope you enjoyed the entertainment, Nikki) 

Tuesday and Thursdays the girls have swim lessons. How I ended up getting over committed - arugh! Although, the lessons are free so I'm taking full advantage of that. They are having a blast. They are with their friends and the groups are small which has been my biggest complaint at any other swimming lessons Kate has attended. 

I'm also waist deep in wedding planning - still looking for a DJ - and working on planning Tour de Max, a bike tour that doubles as a fundraiser for a philanthropic group I belong to. If any of you want to do some cross training, come on over!

Ok, so the running. Yes, only two runs in. A four-miler Wednesday night at about a 10-minute pace and a 5-miler tonight at a 10:15 pace. The wind here was something else. I managed to run the first 4 miles with the wind at my back most of the time. Unfortunately, the last two miles were pretty much into the wind and there were a couple of times where I felt like I was running in place so I walked. 

The graph on the Nike+ is really funny because you can tell where I turned the corner and got hit with the wind in my first mile - my pace really slows. I just about tripped myself on one stretch when the wind blew my foot in back of my leg. That would have been a story to tell. 

Well, enough procrastinating - working on copy editing an investing book. Have a great weekend. 

P.S. Run long and strong, Rick!

3 comments:

Nik's Knacks said...

Hee hee. Yes I DID enjoy the entertainment! Jeff was actually the one that spotted Kate in her getup. He kind of shook his head and said "girls'! (now he knows!!)
Girls are F-U-N, huh?
(and sorry I can't even comment on all the running stuff. I can barely walk to CVS and back!)

Rick said...

Hye, Karen! Thanks again for the well-wishes and prayers! God was, and is, good. I had a great race going till mile 18, but He still allowed to persevere to a 4:38 finish! I'll try and have a race report up on my blog sometime today. You'll hear and see exactly what happened. It was still awesome and... I am a marathoner! Woot!

Wow! You have a lot of irons in the fire! I would love to see pics of the girls in their get ups! I can just picture it in my head.

GREAT job on your wind runs! Wind is almost as tough as consistent hills. They say wind adds 5% effort to your runs, but having run in some pretty serious windy conditions (like yesterday!), I'm thinkin' they underestimate how much more effort it takes.

Anyway... I am a rambler - not the car, but in a jabbering sense - so, I'll get going now. Have yourself a wonderful week and, thanks again SO much for your prayers and support... I truly felt lifted up several times through my race and I know it was folks like yourself thinking of and praying for me! Thanks!

Mom on the Run said...

Nikki, I'm sure there will be plenty of "shows" this summer. Lili, Emily, and Kate have a wonderful stage on our front porch.

Rick, I can't wait to read your race report. God brought you to mind many times yesterday and I'm so glad you persevered. Enjoy your day after the marathon!