Friday, August 29, 2008

A Loooonnnnggggg Seven Miles

Yesterday, ran a great eight miles with my friend. She pushed me once again and we finished 2 minutes faster than we did Tuesday. Unfortunately, Labor Day typically brings on my allergies. For some reason, I am fine, managing the itchy eyes and sneezing from the beginning of August when the pollen and weed counts skyrocket. However, as soon as Labor Day weekend approaches I am miserable with a stuffed nose, almost like a sinus infection, and sore, itchy throat. Needless to say, I'm not feeling real well right now. The Zyrtec helps some but it also puts me in a fog.

So, I wasn't expecting continued success today when I set out to do seven. I also didn't go until 12:45 pm with temperatures in the 80s and humid. To top it off, Kate is really getting into bike riding and she wanted to come along. The first 2.5 miles were fine other than having to look over my shoulder to make sure she was okay. That's when we stopped to get a drink because we didn't bring any water.

Did I mention Kate is new to bike riding and not a huge thrill seeker? She doesn't care for hills so there were several pauses and interruptions in the run, not to mention a bathroom break. Oh well. I really didn't have it in me to to speed through the miles so we took it easy, walking (pushing the bike when needed).

I'm planning on doing 16 tomorrow, then either 8 or 6 on Sunday so I'm ready for the 15k on Monday. I probably could categorize that as my strength workout and be all set.

Once Emily wakes up from a rare nap (she snuggled up to me when I dozed off), we're heading to the Marshall County Blueberry Festival. The weather is perfect for a great time. We'll pick up some Port-a-Pit chicken and Blueberry Shakes and walk around and people watch. It is a craft-lover's mecca.


Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with an easy run since you worked so hard on the run with your friend! As for the allergies, my son takes Zyrtec also, and the pharmacist told us to try taking it at night so he isn't drowsy during the day. Hope you feel better!

Rick said...

Did you get your 16 miler in and, how'd the race go? Inquiring minds (especially those that haven't been actively running or blogging themselves) want to know. :)

Mom on the Run said...

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for the Zyrtec tip. I think it may have been more than just allergies that took me out this weekend. Everything has migrated from my head down to my chest and I vary between sounding like a 60 year old male smoker and a 12 year-old boy. I am feeling better, though, just sound bad when I talk.

Hey Rick! What's going on? I survived the 16 miles and the race. The post is coming soon. I've got to get through a bunch of chapters on a topic I have no understanding of. It is torture! Hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow. Thanks for checking in :-)