Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back Home Again, In Indiana...

Yes, can't you hear Jim Nabors singing that at the Indy Speedway just before Mrs. Hulman-George yells, "Gentlemen and lady, start your engines" and the IndyCar engines roar to life just before the start of the greatest spectacle on earth?

Well, there was no singing, no yelling, and no roaring to life this morning as we were back home in Indiana. Instead of it being Memorial Day and summer ahead of us, summer is now behind us as the 2008-2009 school year began this morning. Yes, that was a big sigh you heard. After a great summer, we're just not ready to get back into the routine of early to bed, early to rise, making lunches, finishing homework, etc.

On the other hand, it may make fitting in the runs a little easier. Speaking of which, while I haven't run since Monday and probably won't fit in a run today, things are going pretty good. I have been sticking to the training program for the most part and have seen my overall endurance improve and my overall times improve.

We were in Grand Haven last week so the setttings for the runs were fantastic. I normally ran a loop around the west end of town but for the 10 and 8 mile runs, Sunday and Monday, I ran a fairly flat course east along the Grand River to Harbor Island and then up and over the drawbridge into Spring Lake. It was kind of fun to run along a route that I've traveled through thousands of time in a car but never bothered to explore. I have something for bridges, too, and think it is neat going over them.

On Saturday, I ran south on Lakeshore. There is a nice wide bikepath/sidewalk but it is fairly hilly. I really struggled with the run and did a lot of walking. Thinking about it, I pretty much rolled out of bed and went out to run. Didn't really have a lot to eat or drink. Hmmm...any correlation there? Uh, yeah!

Unfortunately, between a running about a half mile on a trail and walking on the sand, my ankles are a little sore. Yesterday was supposed to be a speed workout and today a rest day, however with school starting things were a little busy yesterday and today my brother and nephew are flying in from San Antonio so I probably will just take two rest days, let the bones and muscles rest and take off once again tomorrow.

Have a great day!

No comments: