Monday, August 25, 2008

Olympics Withdrawal

Once again, the Olympics have come to a close and I am at a loss. I enjoyed all that I could and didn't watch enough. I enjoyed having somewhat wholesome television to watch (if you take out all of the commercials advertising NBC's regular programming.) I was content to watch just about anything I could, Emily really enjoyed the diving and Kate liked the gymnastics and what she caught of rhythmic gymnastics. Actually, maybe now I won't be staying up so late.

Friday's six mile run was my "Olympic record", finishing in 55:55. I ended up skipping out on Saturday's run. We had a bunch of stuff to do around the house and friends invited us to go out on their boat and go tubing - with summer disappearing quickly, we couldn't pass up the offer. I figured we'd go out for an hour or two and I could get in the 10 miler around 7 pm. We had a wonderful time and didn't get home until 7:40 pm. By the time I would have gotten out the door, I would have been running in the dark which is something I'm really not prepared for, especially on a Saturday night here. So, instead, I stayed home, baked Emily's birthday cake, watched the Men's Olympic Marathon, and got some work done.

I did get in 10 miles last night and again this afternoon. Both days, I think my average was under 10 minutes per mile which I am pleased with. Both runs were a little tough as my upper body is really sore from holding on to dear life when we went tubing. Never go with a daring 7 year old. At one point, I almost just rolled off but was afraid I would hurt something I needed to run. Today, my quads are screaming. I'm trying to avoid going up and down the stairs.

Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning. I'm hoping to get a run in with a friend that I haven't seen for a couple of months. She's an amazing runner and such a dear person.

No comments: