Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Got 'Em Done

I'm going to try to write this while I watch Emily do a show - that is dance in our living room to songs from the Nutcracker. It is a riot to watch and she's pretty good.

Anyway, Saturday, I went out and ran the scheduled 10 miles. It was a little chilly, about 35 degrees. Not quite cold enough to use the treadmill but too cold to venture all the way around the lake so I made up a new 10 mile route that wasn't too bad and avoided doing two laps in town.

I threw on my running tights, running shorts, wicking shirt, old turtleneck, jacket and hat and headed out the door with the iPod and Garmin. I headed south along the lake and got in three, figuring by the time I got back into town I would have 5 miles in. The wind was at my back the first three miles and I was getting really warm so when I turned around to head north again, I took off the turtleneck. I'm sure it was a funny sight as I'm standing next to a guardrail taking off my Garmin, iPod, jacket, turtleneck.

Once I got put back together, I headed north again. Bad timing on taking off the layer because now I had the wind in my face. It ended up not being too bad as there is really only one stretch of road next to the lake without houses for a windbreak. When I was running that stretch, though, I kept hearing these really weird noises. It finally dawned on me that it was the ice.

By the time I got back home to drop off the extra shirt and use the bathroom, I was at 5.5 miles and over half done. I grabbed a drink of water and headed back out and finished the whole thing in 1:35. I had to walk a couple of blocks home so I had a nice cool down.

I could have used an extra layer on my legs and a little more covering on my ears, but otherwise I was fine once I got in a hot shower and circulation returned to my fingertips.

Sunday, I got in 6 miles and went spinning yesterday afternoon. Steve and I, well, mostly Steve, spent the better part of the day working on the back of the house. We now have insulation and a plywood floor. We even got to move in the washer in the house and will be able to use it now that there are real copper pipes (not the crackable PVC kind) running hot and cold water. It's a good thing, too, because there is a mountain of laundry the size of Mt. Everest piling up.

Today was a tempo run and I hit the treadmill. I think it is easier to do the tempo runs there as I can set the pace and go. I ran one mile at 9:40 to warm up and then three miles at 9:00 and the last miles I bumped up the pace 15 seconds every quarter of a mile.

Tomorrow is going to be a rest day from running but busy none the less. I get to help at Emily's preschool for teeth day, then babysit in the afternoon, and help out at church in the evening. Hmm...I think I'll go to bed early.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wow awesome workouts. Very cool.