Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wimped Out

The weather yesterday would have been perfect for an outdoor run with the exception of the threat of rain and storms. So, I headed over to the gym and hopped on the treadmill to get in my 10 mile run.

I figured I would run 5 miles, get off to see if anyone wanted the treadmill and then get back on and finish the other five. It worked out pretty well until I hit 7 miles and got a really bad side stitch. I decided to walk .1 and then run the rest of the mile for each of the remaining miles. I got to 8.75 and just couldn't shake the stitch. I also had enough of the treadmill so off I went. I finished the run by going around the little track (12 laps equals a mile). I got the miles in and I was exhausted.

Thankfully, the tight hamstrings I started out with didn't get any worse. After spinning Friday, I barely could get my leg over the center of the bike and couldn't lift up my foot to stretch my quads. I had to bend down, grab my foot with my hand, and lift it up. I think the tightness was thanks to Thursday's pilates class and the subsequent 6 mile run that evening.

Today, there was no running, just stairs. I had to work this afternoon which means church at 9:45, get home, grab some lunch, and off I go to be the adult on duty in a three story girl's dorm. It is usually an uneventful time but today was disrupted by a tornado warning (complete with sending the girls to the basement - although I probably didn't have to) and later having to inform the girls that they couldn't go outside because of the extremely high winds. It's probably just as well I didn't try to go for a run. The wind is still whipping outside - I'll be surprised if we aren't missing some chunks of siding off the house.

Okay, funny kid quote of the day - not from my child. My brother had to take my 4-year-old nephew with him to tape an interview with Shaq. My nephew hid under a table the entire time. Later, he informed my brother that he doesn't like giants. I'm sure to a two-and-a-half foot tall little boy, Shaq is a giant.

No comments: