Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ten days and counting...

Yes, you read that right. Only 10 days to go before my marathon. I just finished a 10 mile run, my last one of that length before Oct. 19. It is jut downhill from here...hopefully in a positive way.

So far the weather looks like it will be good, at least leading up to Sunday. Temps in the 50s or 60s and sunny for Saturday. We'll see what Sunday looks like tomorrow.

Overall, I'm feeling okay. I can feel some congestion in my lungs but I think I'm going to take some Robitussin to hopefully knock it out. Overall, I just kind of tired even though I slept almost 11 hours last night - no school today for anyone and they let me sleep until 9!

With Chicago this weekend, I'm kind of wishing I would have signed up to run, although my bank account and credit card are probably happy I didn't (it is expensive in the end, entry, hotel, etc.). It looks like the temperatures are going to be in the 80s by the afternoon. I was hoping to go up to watch it but with Kate being sick all week, I think we'll be catching up on homework.

It's a kind of surreal feeling that the marathon is almost a week away. In the back of my head I keep thinking that it has been two years since I really RAN a marathon. Last year I went the distance but because of the conditions, I ended up walking the last seven miles.

Then there is the thought that I haven't done a 20 mile run, the longest I've gone is 16. At the same time, I've been doing a whole lot more mileage than I was doing over the last two training cycles. I think I ran 56 miles last week! Mentally, a 10 mile run is a lot shorter and less frightening than it used to be.

I guess this is all about the taper madness. Did I train correctly? Did I train enough? Did I eat the right things? We'll find out in 10 days! :-)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Okay so from inexperience, I can say that it sounds like tapers are scary. You'd think they'd be a relief but they're just anxiety fests. I think you'll do okay, you don't want to over train and injure yourself, right? Good luck, I can't wait for you to run this!